Loading...
About Us 2017-06-07T14:43:07+00:00

Green View is a family owned business founded in Peoria, Illinois, USA in the year 1955 by Peter W. Hoerr (1902-1992). Peter, a first generation American of German descent, operated the business out of his home. The company originated as “Peter W. Hoerr Trucking and Landscaping” which had one employee besides Mr. Hoerr. Peter’s father, John C. Hoerr, (1872-1959) at the age of 16 came to America in 1889 from Germany. He was a farmer by trade and later in life became an estate gardener for a prominent family in Peoria. Like his father, Peter believed, “The customer is always right and give them more than they expect.” These principles are still the cornerstone of Green View today.

In 1958, Thomas D. Hoerr, Sr. and three seasonal employees joined the company, and the name was changed to “Peoria Landscaping Company.” Landscape work at this time consisted of seed and sod installation, using sod cut from farm pastures. In 1965, 130 acres of farm ground was purchased in Dunlap just north of Peoria for sod production. All operations were moved to this location in 1966 and it is the corporate headquarters today.

A retail garden center opened at the Dunlap location in 1972. The garden center has grown from primarily selling sod, trees, and shrubs to a full service store including an array of plants, landscape construction/maintenance materials, and garden accessories for indoors and outdoors.

As the landscape operations in Peoria continued to grow, Tom Hoerr Sr. looked for additional opportunities for the landscape and maintenance services in central Illinois. The Bloomington/Normal landscape and maintenance operations were established in 1977 at 1813 Industrial Park Road where they are still located today.

In 1979 Green View begins to expand its production nursery operations from exclusively sod production to trees, container shrubs, and perennials. The wisdom Green View has gained from its production nursery is still an important part of our landscape operations today.

In 1980 the Champaign/Urbana location was opened to offer landscape and maintenance services in the easter portion of Illinois. In 1981 Green View establishes a presence in Decatur, IL expanding its regional market for Landscape and Maintenance services.

In 1984 Green View added a Springfield location to service Landscape and Maintenance operations in the southern part of Illinois.

In 1987 Tom Sr. opened the Naperville/Oswego location for Landscape and Maintenance operations to service the Chicagoland area.

In 1992 Peter W. Hoerr, founder and Charmen of the Board, passed away at the age of 92. Values instilled by Peter – honesty, hard work, excellent customer service, and the highest quality products and services – remain the foundation of the company and still guides the work of Green View today.

In 2009 Thomas D. Hoerr, Chief Executive Officer, passed away at the age of 70. Tom led the business through its nascent stages to its current position as a national leader in the Landscape Design Build industry. Tom ushered in periods of unprecedented growth from the late seventies to the early nineties, rapidly expanding Green View’s Landscape, Maintenance, and Nursery Production operations throughout Illinois. He was a visionary leader who had an indomitable passion for the Landscape and Nursery industry helping to foster a culture of excellence that continues with the current leadership.

In 2010 Tom Hoerr II became the Chief Executive Officer and Michael Hoerr became the Chief Operating Officer. Jeanette Hoerr assumed the role of Chairmen of the Board.